Do you want to disable the F1 key button on Windows 10 / 8 / 7 or XP? Follow these simple steps to block on f1 on temporary or permanent basis. The F1 key provides the user with an immediate access to the Windows Help and Support Center. However, this shortcut can become very annoying when it is accidentally pressed by an user. The best method to prevent such an inconvenience is to disable the F1 key, which may be done through the following steps.
Steps to Disable F1 Key
Follow these 2 minute guide on how you can easily disable the F1 function key:
- Click on the “Start” button.
- The next step is to open the Registry Editor. Click on “Run” or press Ctrl + R button.
- Now type “regedit” into the Run text box, without the quotation marks.
- Go to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\App Paths\HELPCTR.EXE.
- Double-click on “(Default)”. Change the value so that it becomes “\C:\Windows\svchost.exe\”.
- Click “OK.” Close the Registry Editor. Log out or restart the computer to complete the process.
Alternative method to disable F1 Key
Another popular method of disabling the F1 key is by using a program called ‘Sharpkeys’. With Sharpkeys, the user can easily disable or remap most of the keys on the keyboard. Through the following steps, it may be use to block the F1 key:
- Open the program.
- Click “Add”.
- Click the “Type Key” option which is found under the left panel.
- Press the F1 button on the keyboard.
- Select the “Turn Key Off” option in the right panel.
- Click “OK”.
- Select the “Write to Registry” option.
- Restart your operating system by logging out or shutting down.
Hope this will help you block the F1 key button on your desktop/laptop. Do let me know if you still facing any issue, would love to assist you !